“Alone, we can do so little; together, we can do so much.”
The famous words of Helen Keller summarize the tremendous community effort involved in Cleveland’s 24th Annual Homeless Stand Down, a two-day event that begins next Saturday, Jan. 24, at the Cleveland Public Auditorium, 500 Lakeside Ave.
This event, sponsored by HandsOn Northeast Ohio and the Northeast Ohio Coalition for the Homeless brings together more than 200 organizations and about 500 volunteers for one purpose: to help families and individuals who face homelessness and poverty in Cleveland.
These agencies aim to help those who need it most by providing everything from social services and medical care to bus passes and haircuts.
The Public Auditorium’s doors will open at 8 a.m. Jan. 24, and services will be provided through 3 p.m. The following weekend, Jan. 31 and Feb. 1, the agencies will continue their outreach with a CareVan, where they will bring food and donated clothing to housing support sites throughout the Cleveland area.
If you want to see the spirit of caring at work in your neighborhood, it’s not too late to get involved by making a donation.
The Northeast Ohio Coalition for the Homeless continues to collect items to distribute at the Homeless Stand Down. This year, the agency hopes to assemble:
- 1,100 new or gently used winter boots for men, sizes 10-14, as well as various sizes for women
- 1,200 winter coats of all sizes, especially XL, 2XL, 3XL and 4XL for men
- 2,800 pairs of new underwear, including boxers and briefs for men
- 1,300 pairs of waterproof gloves
- 1,800 hooded sweatshirts
- 1,300 winter hats
- 2,900 men’s athletic socks
- 1,600 personal hygiene kits, including shampoo, soap, washcloths, toothbrushes and toothpaste, and feminine hygiene products
- 300 cleaning kits, which include buckets, sponges, paper towels, dish soap, laundry detergent and dryer sheets
These collection goals are based on the needs of the previous year and wouldn’t be possible without your generosity. Please note the Stand Down will not be accepting general clothing donations that do not meet the above criteria.
Items may be dropped off at 2015 Pearl Brook Shopping Center, 5136 Pearl Road, Cleveland, at the following dates and times:
- 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Monday, Jan. 19
- 5:30-8:30 p.m. Monday, Jan. 19
- 5:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 20
Donations can also be dropped off during normal business hours at WKYC Channel 3, 1333 Lakeside Avenue East, Cleveland.
We encourage you to do whatever you can to show Cleveland you care by supporting this very worthwhile cause. Thank you in advance for doing what you can. Your donation may seem small, but it will make a big difference in the lives of those who need it most.